How do I require completion of a Lessons item?
Most of the items that can be added to a Lessons page can be made "required". That is, students must open (if the item is a resource) or complete (if the item is a forum posting, quiz, assignment, question, comment or student page). Further, the Lessons tool allows instructors to require students to complete one item in the list before allowing access to another item in the list.
Lessons tool Items that can be required:
- Add Content items (requires student to open resource or link)
- Add Assignment items (requires student to submit the assignment)
- Add Quiz items (requires student to submit the quiz and/or achieve a minimum grade on the quiz)
- Add Forum Topics items (requires student to create a post on a selected forum topic)
- Add Question items (requires student to submit an answer to the question)
- Add Comment items (requires student to add a comment)
- Add Student Content (requires student to add a new student page)
Lessons tool items that can be set as unavailable until required items above it in the list are completed:
- Text items
- Embedded items
- Content links
- Assignment links
- Quiz links
- Forum Topic links
- Question items
- Add Comment items
- Student Content
- Subpages (See How do I add subpages to a Lessons page? for more information on subpages.)
Click on the Lessons Page Title (e.g. Week 1 & 2) in the Tool Menu to display the page.
Note: The default or blank Lessons page contains text and images that explain the basic functionality of the Lessons tool.
Check Don't Release Item Until All Prerequisites are Completed option, then click Update Item.