How do I add an Announcement?
The Announcements tool is used to inform site participants about current items of interest. Announcements can have multiple attachments, such as documents or URLs.
Most faculty like to use Announcements to post reminders about upcoming events or due dates in the class. You can schedule announcements ahead of time, and have them release for viewing throughout the term.
Enter your announcement content.
You have three options for announcement availability: Show, Hide, and Specify Dates.
- Show is selected by default. If you leave this option selected, your announcement will be posted immediately and visible to all enrolled users in the site.
- Hide allows you to save an announcement as a draft, so that it is visible to you as the instructor for editing, but is not visible to students in the course.
- Specify Dates lets you schedule visibility windows ahead of time. You can use this option to set up announcements to be displayed periodically throughout the semester when deadlines or due dates approach.
Indicating display dates.
Optionally, you may attach a file to your announcement.
Click the Add Attachments button to browse for and attach your file.
Note: If you choose to attach a file, make sure that it is a file which site participants have permission to access. You don't want to attach a file that is located in a different site or private folder unless the file permissions are set to public. Otherwise, site participants in this course or project won't be able to view the attachment.
Optionally, you may also choose to notify site participants of the announcement by email.
- High priority will send an email to all participants with the content of the announcement.
- Low priority will only send the email announcement to participants which have not opted out in their personal notification settings.
- None is the default setting, and this option posts the announcement in the course or project site only. No email is sent to participants.