What is My Workspace?
When you log in to Sakai, you will immediately see My Workspace, your individual workspace in the system. My Workspace displays the Message of the Day as well as course announcements, calendar, and message notifications. You will also see links to account utilities, enrolled courses, and other system-wide resources.
Note: The default location and availability of items in My Workspace may be customized by your institution.
My Workspace consists of the following navigation and display elements:
- Global Navigation across the top
- The Tool Menu on the left
- The Message of the Day
- My Workspace: Calendar
- My Workspace: Recent Announcements
- My Workspace: Message Center Notifications
The My Workspace area of Sakai is designed to give you an overview of what is happening in your courses, and provide access to your individual account information and preferences.
The Global Navigation across the top of the screen allows to you access all of the Sakai sites in which you are enrolled. You may also return to My Workspace at any time by clicking on the My Workspace button on the left. There is also Logout button in the far right hand corner to exit the system.
You may click on the down arrows next to each site name to expand the Tool Menu for that site. Selecting a tool from that list will take you directly to that area of the selected course.
The My Workspace Tool Menu contains links to user account information and preferences. These links include:
- Worksite Setup
Note: You may also see links to system-wide resources in this menu if they have been added by your institution. Also note that the tools displayed in the Tool Menu will be different depending on which Sakai site you are currently viewing.
The Message of the Day displays system-wide announcements and information posted by the Sakai Administrator. Most institutions use this space to display messages about scheduled maintenance, system updates, and important dates and events. You may customize the appearance of the Message of the Day by selecting the Options button.
- You can choose to view just the subject line or the entire body of the message (default selection) by selecting the appropriate radio button.
- You may also use the drop-down menu to select to view All, One, or Two lines of the message body.
- You may also specify how many days in the past messages should be displayed. This is useful if you prefer to only see recently posted messages.
The My Workspace Calendar shows events from all of the sites in which you are enrolled. In addition, you may also create individual, private calendar entries that are only visible to you from your My Workspace. As with the Message of the Day, you may customize the appearance of your Calendar by selecting the Options button.
The Announcements area in My Workspace displays announcements from all of the sites in which you are enrolled. You may use the drop-down menu to view All items, Public items only, or items By Group. (You must be a member of a group in order to see group announcements.)
By default, you will only see announcements that have been posted within the last 10 days in this location. If you wish to see announcements posted within the past year, you should click on the Announcements link in the Tool Menu.
The Message Center in My Workspace displays the count of Messages and Forum posts for all of the sites in which you are enrolled. New messages are indicated by a number and envelope icon. If there are no new messages or posts, the word "none" will be displayed.
- Clicking on the title of the site will take you to the homepage for that site.
- Clicking on the New Messages indicator will take you directly to the Message Inbox for that site.
- Clicking on the New in Forums indicator will take you directly to the Forums for that site.
You may click on the Options button to customize the list of sites displayed in the Message Center area.